- InMotion’s portfolio company Circulor has raised a $14m Series A led by The Westly Group, with participation from venture arms of Salesforce, BHP and Sky
- These new investors join existing investors including InMotion Ventures, TotalEnergies Ventures, Volvo Cars Technology Fund, BHP Venture, Plug and Play, and Boeing HorizonX.
- Investment will help drive expansion in North America and Asia
- Reflects Circulor’s success to date and its ability to help companies track and manage their supply chains, support responsible sourcing, analyse supply chain emissions, and improve sustainability
Circulor, the leading provider of supply chain traceability and dynamic CO2 tracking, today announced it has closed $14m in Series A funding to accelerate the company’s rapid growth. The Westly Group led the round with participation from Salesforce Ventures, BHP Ventures, Future Positive Capital, 24Haymarket and Sky Ocean Ventures. Existing investors in the company include Boeing HorizonX, Volvo Cars Technology Fund, Jaguar Land Rover’s CVC arm, InMotion Ventures, SYSTEMIQ, Plug and Play and TotalEnergies Ventures. Steve Westly, Founder and Managing Partner of The Westly Group, will join the Circulor board.
Circulor will use the investment to drive ongoing innovation and extend its presence in North America and Asia. The investment highlights Circulor’s success in enabling global businesses, including Volvo Cars, Polestar, BHP, and LG Energy Solutions, to track and manage their supply chains, support responsible sourcing, analyse supply chain emissions, and improve sustainability.
Circulor provides an enterprise software platform that uses a combination of technologies, including blockchain, business logic and machine learning. Circulor’s technology assigns a digital identity to commodities and tracks the supply chain data and embedded carbon at each stage of production, recycling and end-of-life. This provides full visibility across traditionally opaque and complex supply chains, helping companies address ESG objectives.
Circulor has successfully sold its solution to the electric vehicle industry, where it is currently the only proven technology available to automotive manufacturers and suppliers to track materials such as cobalt, mica and lithium. The company is tracing other commodities, including nickel, copper, plastics, and leather, and is deployed in circular economy solutions such as the remanufacturing of automotive parts.
This unprecedented level of traceability means that customers can promote sustainable and ethical practices in their supply chains and provide better transparency for consumers. It will also enable them and their supply chains to meet upcoming EU Battery Passport regulations, which will require transparency of recycling efficiencies and recovery of EV battery materials and carbon intensity, and the meeting of extended producer responsibility. Circulor is also helping customers to reduce emissions across their entire value chains and to fulfil their emmissions reduction and climate-neutral commitments.
Some of Circulor’s notable customers include:
- Volvo Cars – to trace the cobalt used in the XC40 Recharge, its first fully electric car
- Polestar – to assess the environmental and human rights risks behind sourcing nickel, lithium and mica for its high-performance electric cars
- Vulcan Energy Resources – to track the production and embedded carbon of lithium
- BHP – to trace the entire value chain of nickel and copper, including the traceability of the material and its CO2 footprint
Douglas Johnson-Poensgen, CEO of Circulor, said: “We are on a mission to make the world’s most complex industrial supply chains more transparent, and help prevent the exploitation of people and our planet. Traceability-as-a-Service is fast becoming a requirement for the world’s leading brands and this funding will help us accelerate our impact and revenue growth.”
About Circulor: Circulor enables businesses to fully analyse, track and manage their supply chains to support responsible sourcing and improve sustainability. It does this by providing an enterprise software platform, which creates a reliable chain of custody of materials and attaches sustainability and other ESG data to that flow of materials.